My name is Monique Shante and this is my blog. Welcome!
I’m supposed to tell you a little about who I am and what I’d like to accomplish for this space, but I’ve never quite felt comfortable doling out information about myself, it reminds me too much of an interview, a bad date, or the first day of class as a freshman in high school when you try to introduce yourself from your seat and your teacher asks you to stand up–or better yet–come to the front of the room and share your name, where you’re from, what you want to be when you grow up, and another fun fact about yourself.
No Thank You!
While I don’t want to write a book, I do want to give you more than 4 fun facts. So, I’ll give you 25. And since I like lists, that’s how I’ll provide them.
25 Facts about Monique:
1. My first name is Monique, and Shante is actually my middle name.
2. I was born in NYC, and have lived here all my life. Reppin’ Queens & the BX!
3. I am a writer, and when I grow up, I’d like to be a published one.
4. My favorite author is Toni Morrison (Favorite book of hers: Tar Baby)
5. This year (2012) I turned 26 and I actually feel old, and the feeling completely shocked me. I’ve always felt young, and decided I would always be proud of my age, but 1 birthday changed all that. While I know that I’m not actually old, considering average life expectancy, the air up here feels completely different. The first 25 years of my life are over and I’ve officially completed my First Act. I even debated whether I wanted to mention my age at all, which convinced me I should…what a 26-year-old decision! Cheers to the next 25!
6. I’m a January 5th Capricorn! And I completely buy into Astrology.
7. I’m 5’2″ and I would love to be 5’11” for a day, just to see how it feels & to elegantly wear wide-legged trousers.
8. I love knitting; it is a wonderful craft, and I like to call myself a Knittress! While it is tedious & frustrating, and I have to fight with the yarn when it doesn’t agree with the needles, and sometimes I have to undo hours of work to begin again because of one messed up stitch, I still love it. It’s like raising children, the end product is well-worth the effort, and when I’m done I get to sit and marvel at my handiwork (if it turned out well). A positive to knitting, my kids grow up fast!
9. I graduated from Hunter College with a B.A. in English-Creative Writing and a minor in Africana & Puerto Rican/Latino Studies.
10. I always say, “If the elderly, children, and pets don’t like you, you’re probably not a good person.” I kind of believe this is true. They seem to be the mirrors of society.
11. I get along famously with the elderly, children, & pets! ;-)
12. I color to relieve stress when nothing else works. And sometimes I just color. I have huge coloring books and the coveted 64-box of crayons with the sharpener in the back! I’m definitely on my way to being the cool kid in class, now all I need is a lead pencil & some Lisa Frank stickers.
13. My favorite colors are Black & Purple. I’m also beginning to like Gray, just a few shades…not 50.
14. I have a brother 10 years younger than I am who believes I am from another planet. A place where people are born fully grown at 20 years old and have no idea what it’s like to be a teenager.
15. I love dogs. And as soon as I move from this evil place where pets aren’t allowed, I’m going to rescue at least two!
16. Karaoke is my favorite hobby. I like to sing at Karaoke bars (not in front of many people), in my house on youtube, and all day in my head.
17. I cannot live without music! Well, I can live, but I would want to kill myself.
18. I am directionally challenged. I get lost walking, and thank goodness I live in NYC & don’t have to drive. I’d also like to thank our Creator for phones with navigation capabilities!
19. Mexican food is the best.
20. I’m a junkie for fresh fruit, canned pineapple, and maraschino cherries!
21. I currently adopt Sula’s (Toni Morrison character) theory on having children. When asked “When you gone to get married?” And told, “You need to have some babies. It’ll settle you.” Sula said, “I don’t want to make somebody else. I want to make myself.” True dat!
22. I usually remember my dreams vividly, and they are always extremely strange and detailed. And I have one recurrent post-apocalyptic dream. The setting is sometimes different, but it always involves groups of people searching through rooms in huge buildings looking for something. They are always frantic, always in groups, always looking for a place to settle, just always searching. For what? I never know. The landscape is always dusty and the rooms are always old deserted apartments and offices. Odd, but I’m used to them now. If you want to psychologize that, feel free!
23. I never litter! And I want to yell at people who carelessly throw wrappers and things on the ground.
24. I have really long toes, and use them to pick things up off my carpet regularly.
25. I started this blog to create a space where I can truly express myself online, where I am free to go on rants, showcase my creativity, and passionately voice my opinions. I use Facebook, and have a Myspace page I don’t know the password to, but have otherwise been reluctant to most social networking sites/apps, etc. until now. And I have always wanted to start a blog. I did, and if it still exists, still have a Xanga blog that I started when I was a teenager, and reading it years after writing it was extremely entertaining. So, here’s my adult blog!
And there’s the 25. If you read all that, Kudos! Lol
Hope you enjoy your visit!
And really, Put Your Feet Up, & Stay A While…